Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Professionally Speaking

I like to dance but I am strictly recreational.  However, I do consider myself to be professionally recreational, which just means I have confidence in my inability to do the true art form of dance any justice.  It was only just a while ago that I decided to go professionally recreational.  But the important thing was that it was a choice.
One of my only moves:
"the elbow drop."

A professional is someone who does something for gain and when I dance I gain something.  In the past, I always wanted to sustain when I danced.  I wanted to sustain my image, my pride, my dignity.  But to be a professional, you have to give something up.  In order for life to come, it must first be given up.  That's a hard teaching but anything worthy is hard.

Only a professional dancer can profess dance because that person is giving something up to gain.  The difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional makes his trades his life for his work while an amateur works his life for a trade.  Professionals are different because they chose to go on when what they do doesn't make sense anymore.

If you're ready to gain life then you're ready to give it up.  If you profess something, what is it that you're giving up to get it?  

3 comments:

  1. You need to read Steven Pressfield. Start off with "The War of Art" and then read the soon to be release "Turning Pro"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have "The War of Art" and it's incredible. "Turning Pro" sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written like a true prom king.

    Can't wait to talk to you in person for an extended period of time so you can tell me all about this giving-up-to-finding-life theme you've got going on this year.

    ReplyDelete